10:00 - 18:00

We are open Monday to Friday, 10am to 6pm

0207 650 7970

Call us now to book an appointment




Housing Benefits

Kingdom Solicitors > Housing Benefits

Housing Benefit Claims

You may be eligible for Housing Benefits to assist you in paying for your rent if you are on a low income.

Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much you are entitled to, depends on your income and circumstances.

You can apply for Housing Benefit regardless of whether you are in employment.

You may also be able to get help with your rent if your benefits cease.

Housing Benefit cannot be paid for

  • Heating
  • Hot water
  • Energy
  • Food

You may be entitled to Housing Benefit if:

  • you pay rent
  • you’re on a low income or claiming benefits
  • your savings are below a certain level – usually £16,000

If you live with a partner, only one of you will receive Housing Benefit.

If you’re single and under 35, you can only get Housing Benefit for bed-sit accommodation or a single room in shared accommodation.

Who isn’t eligible

You will not be entitled to Housing benefit if:

  • Your savings are over £16,000 (unless you receive Guarantee Credit or Pension Credit)
  • You live in the close relatives home
  • You are a full time student – excluding disabled students or students who have children
  • You are residing in the UK as an European Economic Area jobseeker
  • You are an asylum seeker or sponsored to be in the UK
  • You are subject to immigration control and your granted leave states that you can’t claim public funds.


Council Tax Claims

·      Here at Kingdom Solicitors, we can help you with matters relating to Council Tax, provided that you meet certain requirements.

An individual will usually be required to pay Council Tax if they are 18 years or over and own or rent a property.

A full Council Tax Bill is based on at least 2 adults living in a home. Spouses/ partners living together are jointly responsible for paying the Council Tax bill.

You may get 25 % off your bill provided you count as an adult for Council Tax and meet other requirements.

If all persons residing in property are all full-time students, you will not be required to pay any Council Tax.


The following people are not considered an ‘adult’ for Council Tax:

  • children under 18
  • people on some apprentice schemes
  • 18 and 19-year-olds in full-time education
  • full-time college and university students
  • young people under 25 who get funding from the Skills Funding Agency or Young People’s Learning Agency
  • student nurses
  • foreign language assistants registered with the British Council
  • people with a severe mental impairment
  • live-in carers who look after someone who isn’t their partner, spouse or child
  • diplomats


Council Tax Reduction

  • Individuals may be entitled to a Council Tax Reduction (formerly known as Council Tax Benefits) if they are on a lower income or receive benefits.
  • You can apply if you own or rent your property; are working or unemployed.
  • The reduction depends on the individuals circumstances (eg income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
  • where they live – each council runs its own scheme
  • individual’s household income – this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income
  • If an individual’s children or other adults reside with you.