10:00 - 18:00

We are open Monday to Friday, 10am to 6pm

0207 650 7970

Call us now to book an appointment




Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Kingdom Solicitors > Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance

If you are a disabled person who needs assistance with mobility or care costs, you may be eligible for Disability Living Allowance (DLA). It is a tax –free benefit.

Please note DLA will cease for persons who were born after 08 April 1948 and are 16 or over.

You can only make a new DLA claim if you’re under 16.

You will continue to receive DLA until the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) informs you as to

  • When it will cease and
  • Apply for a new benefit calledPersonal Independence Payment (PIP)

Your DLA will continue if you were born on or before 8 April 1948. In that case, you will not then be entitled to claim PIP.

You will however, continue to receive DLA if you’re under 16 or were born before 08 April 1948 and have an existing claim.

DLA is usually paid every 4 weeks and is paid into bank accounts.

The rate you get is made up of 2 components (parts).

  1. Care component (need help looking after yourself); and
  2. Mobility component (have walking difficulties)

The amount you receive will depend on how your condition affects you and not on the condition you have.

How much you get depends on how your disability or health condition affects you.


  • You can only make a newDLA claim if you’re under 16.
  • YourDLA will continue if you were born on or before 8 April 1948.

Need help looking after yourself

This includes:

  • need help with things like washing, dressing, eating, using the toilet or communicating your needs
  • need supervision to avoid putting yourself or others in danger
  • need someone with you when you’re on dialysis
  • can’t prepare a cooked main meal

You can get this part if no-one is actually giving you the care you need, or you live alone.


Walking difficulties

This includes:

  • can’t walk
  • can only walk a short distance without severe discomfort
  • could become very ill if you try to walk

You might also get it if you:

  • have no feet or legs
  • are assessed as 100% blind and at least 80% deaf and you need someone with you when outdoors
  • are severely mentally impaired with severe behavioural problems and get the highest rate of care for DLA
  • need supervision most of the time when walking outdoors
  • are certified as severely sight impaired and you were aged between 3 and 64 on 11 April 2011

You will need to inform DWP if your circumstances change, e.g. your condition improves or you need more help.


You might get a letter saying you need to attend an assessment to check the level of help you need. Your benefit may be stopped if you don’t go.

At the assessment, you’ll be asked for identification. You can use a passport or any 3 of the following:

  • birth certificate
  • a full driving licence
  • life assurance policy
  • bank statements


Here at Kingdom Solicitors, we ensure that your claims are dealt with as smoothly and as quickly as possible.